Apothecary Code of Conduct
The Apothecary is a chill and welcoming left-leaning community, a minority friendly space, a place of self-expression and empowerment. The community is heavily moderated for the safety and comfort of our members, if that’s not something you’re comfortable with, this isn’t the space for you. Be respectful of others, even those you don’t understand.
There are specific and strict content policies on this server for the protection of our members.
- Engage with others in good faith (especially in the heavy-topics rooms)
- Try to understand the others’ points of view and don’t just attack people you disagree with
- Disagreements happen, but try not to escalate the situation and increase hostility
- If someone wants to disengage from a conversation, let them
- If someone is espousing truly harmful views or refuses to engage in good faith, call the moderators to deal with them
- Respect boundaries as placed by others
- Make sure a person consents to receiving a DM from you, either by seeing that they have an equivalent of “DMs open” in their avatar/name or by asking them directly in a public room. (Exception for DMing a mod over time sensitive issues)
- Be respectful/apologize/give space as necessary if someone tells you, or implies through their actions, that you crossed a boundary, as best as you understand
- Spoiler content that may be unpleasant, triggering, or when requested. How to spoiler.
- Keep discussion topical to the room it’s in and migrate elsewhere if needed
- If links to any ‘walled garden’ site i.e. those requiring a login is shared then either a screenshot or text of the relevant content should be shared along with the link.
If you feel moderation action is needed, at any time you can type
!mods in any official Apothecary
room to call the moderators.
- Discrimination, including but not limited to:
- Racism (this includes cultural appropriation, such as appropriation of AAVE/Black English, please see: The AAVE Glossary for examples of this and an explanation of why it shouldn’t be used by non black folks.)
- Ableism (please see: The Ableist Language list (Archive.org backup) for examples of this and alternatives to common ableist words and phrases.)
- Sysmisia; tulpas and other members of plural groups must treated as equal to others.
- General exclusionary behavior
- Stalking, harassment, dogpiling, and any other behavior intended to intimidate or provoke others
- Conduct promoting Nazism, fascism, xenophobia, white supremacy and any related right-wing ideology
- Using terms and slang associated with the alt-right / chan / fascism
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person’s demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxxing)
- Illegal pornographic material and any analogous illustrated material (for instance, content depicting minors)
- Lewd content in rooms that are not explicitly marked Lewd
- Gratuitous violence or otherwise shocking content
- Overly combative or otherwise disruptive behavior
- Promoting scams, crypto currencies, and large dataset machine learning
- Inviting bots into Apothecary rooms without consent of the admins
/ignoreing moderators and other helpers.
- Any content or conduct that is illegal in Germany or United States
Political topics and discussions should be kept to the Politics room. What counts as a political topic is up to moderator discretion.
Any content which mentions heavy mental health topics, such as suicide or self harm, must be kept to the heavy-topics rooms and spoilered appropriately.
Moderators may choose how to deal with unacceptable behaviour. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things they may do:
- Inform the offender that their actions were unacceptable and should not be repeated.
- Temporarily restrict the offender’s ability to send messages.
- Temporarily or permanently ban the offender from the service.
There is currently no official system to appeal moderation decisions but one is in the works. This document will be updated when that system is ready.
These community guidelines apply to all rooms and spaces related to the the-apothecary.club homeserver and related services.
All of the rooms within the community rooms subspace are moderated by members of our community and not by apothercary mods directly. It’s not required that those rooms follow our rules exactly, but they should still be moderated well to provide a safe atmosphere for our members, or they will be removed.
Matrix Tips & Tricks
Spoilers are very useful for posting potentially triggering content safely. Depending on your client, you may or may not be able to add an inline content warning. Instructions for using spoilers depend on your client. For particularly heavy topics, consider also putting a spoiler on the part of disclaimer mentioning it. FluffyChat, Cinny, Nheko Spoiler text by adding two pipes to the start and end of the message (no spaces between).